"Nagsimula na pero wala na 'kong balak na tapusin. 'Di ibig sabihin 'pag 'di tinapos, ako'y hihinto na rin." - SB19

Article | Japan Expo 2021 was a Festive Event at Our University!

 By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang

Written December 14, 2021

Please do not copy or post to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading.


The yearly Japan Day at my University has always been a nice break right before the last month of the semester. Unfortunately, last year, because of the pandemic, no such events were hosted and participated by the students. Now that the campus was slowly opening its doors, several events, such as Homecoming, Late Night, and so on, had come back for this school year's students. I always come during Japan Day - as a volunteer and a participant. 

Imagine my surprise when Japan Day upgraded to Japan EXPO --- I thought the club hosting it, American x Japanese Cross-Cultural Club (AxJ), was really becoming more sophisticated. In actuality, the club's board members and regular members were really doing their very best to make such a big event possible. The event was held on November 18th.

In a Sailor Uniform

Even though I've been going to the event for years, this was the first time I actually cosplayed into something. Courtesy to my sister, the sailor uniform was a really cute first-time cosplay. I enjoyed dressing up into something cute. I told my sister we could be Kagamine Len and Rin next year!

The event organizers invited different shops from Instagram - most of them sold anime things, and there were those who sold K-Pop merchandise as well. Speaking of K-Pop, JAM, our university's official Kpop dance team, collaborated with AxJ to bring out very energetic performances that were fun to watch.

The biggest event was the Cosplay Fashion Show though. I must say that I like past years' cosplay fashion shows, but this year was also great. It's fun to see Kakashi in there. During the fashion show, the participants would do some talent show (though it's more like an entrance performance), then answer some questions.  

Cosplay Fashion Show
One of the best reasons for coming to Japan Day was their raffle draw. In Japan, collecting stamps was an engagement that often Japanese people do, especially in their local market. During the event, the club brought that culture and gave every participant and guest a chance to receive a raffle ticket to win something by the end of the event. 

Guests needed to go around the event area and interact with different tables. Most of the tables were merchants, but there's one from the Japanese Consulate (0.0). Another one was a Japanese calligraphy table - my classmate and friend manned the table. For some reason, I wrote 学 (ga-ku), which meant study, learning, education, or school. This year, I brought my parents with me (my sibling was there, too). They also receive a stamp card but were hesitant to go table-to-table. I went with them because they also wanted to win something. 

Afterward, the full stamp card was exchanged for a ticket and we were even given a chance to do roulette. Everyone in my family, except my mom who won a cute sushi eraser, won a sticker. 

Means study; learning

I really wanted to win the cat lamp because I thought it was cute and I could utilize it, so I wanted to increase my chance of winning it. I bought several tickets. I knew that I would win something that night. There were three prizes. The third prize was a cat coin bank. The second prize was the cat lamp. There were three available cat lamps, so for that second prize, three people would win it. The grand prize was a Nintendo Switch. 

When they called out the first winner (the winner of the third prize), it was my number! I was really so happy. I knew I would get something because I was always lucky when it came to raffle draws. (I remember winning a Winter parking pass during a Homecoming that one time). I was really so happy with the prize. Although it was not the cat lamp that I wanted, at least I won something. 

You might want to ask... who won the Nintendo Switch? It was Kakashi!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Update: Welp... Spring Semester Started Last Week!

 By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang Please do not copy or post to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading. So here's what's going to happe...

Popular Posts