"Nagsimula na pero wala na 'kong balak na tapusin. 'Di ibig sabihin 'pag 'di tinapos, ako'y hihinto na rin." - SB19

Short Story | Trust

By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang


Please do not repost or copy to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading.


    "S-Samaya," Fengshen spits blood with her name. He finds himself bleeding next to his throne with a woman bearing his beloved's face standing in front of him, the tip of her sword inches away from his nose. "Samaya."


    The woman narrows her eyes on him and is ready to swing her sword at his throat when she suddenly let go of her weapon and backs away as if burnt. Fengshen sees her eyes widen when the spirit of another woman, watery eyes and sad smile, appears from within the sword's body. "Grandma?" she whispers, but Fengshen's auditory perception comes to a deafening tiiiii sound like two rusty metals grating at each other in a never-ending cycle; he does not hear her. 

    Fengshe's senses, whatever left from his numb, dying seld, are all focused on her, his Samaya. With a tear in his eyes, he reaches out a hand, but he does not have strength left within him. "Samaya."

    Samaya's spirit catches his hand and brings it to her cheek. It feels airy and cold; unreal, he thinks. "Fengshen..." And then he finds himself back decades ago when all he knew about life is to spend it together with those whom he loves.

    "Fengshen!" Samaya throws the wooden door of his room inside the guild building, She leaps their distance into his open arms and he hugs her lovingly. She giggles when he puts his face on her neck, to smell her clean water scent and leave a kiss in there as well. "Fengshen!"
    
    "What is it, beloved? Hm?"

    "Fengshen, Bayani and I prepared for a week's exploration in the Cordillera Mountain," she looks at him directly in the eye like she's telling him to please understand, again. He lets go of her and she goes to her feet. In his silence, she adds, "Ilang will be with us. She knows the mountain range more than we do."

    He can't help but furrow his eyebrows together creating trenches between them. "You've been going out with Bayani for several months now. You don't even let me go with you nor tell me what preparations the guild needs to do."

    She bits her dry lower lips worriedly. "We, we had to work on something I've had a dream about. I can only tell him about it because he's involved." Samaya grasps his hands. "Fengshen, please don't be jealous over Bayani. We only have a leader and subordinate relationship. I only like him as a brother-in-arms. I don't love him like how I love you."

    "And how do you love me?" Fengshen asks her teasingly. He puts his hands on her waist and drags her towards him. Samaya bends down and leaves butterfly kisses on his lips. "Hmm, I think I need more reassurance."

    "She laughs, and they kiss harder. She comes out of his room the next day.

    "I got pregnant with Soraya during that time and I tried to tell you that it was not Bayani who fathered her, but you never listened," Samaya says quietly. Her hands are intertwined together in a tight grip. "Then the rest happened."

    "Why didn't you tell me again? Why didn't you try again? How did you die?" He takes her into his arms. There's warm water flowing from his burning eyes.
    
    "I became afraid. Bayani, Maputi, Ulap, Iland, and I established Lireo and lived in the village until Ulap and Ilang left. Fengshen, I was afraid of the prophecy for a long time. Fengshen, the last prophecy was of my granddaughter killing you, and for years, I tried so hard to keep you away from her - to keep her away from you - but years before my death, I kept having dreams, no, nightmares, of my own death, and I decided that I really couldn't go against destiny, that I must ready my beloved, our beloved, grandchildren, for the heartbreak they will face when tings were torn apart from the,.
    
    "I dreamt of my own death repeatedly, Fengshen, that I became immune to them, but I would not have my grandchildren die because their destinies were not met because of my selfishness... so..."

    "So, I needed to die," Fengshen finishes. When he sees Samaya's eyes well up, he hushes her. "Shh, shh. Don't cry, beloved, if its' fate that we're together now, at last, then I will not stop that from happening, even if it's the cost of my own death."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Update: Welp... Spring Semester Started Last Week!

 By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang Please do not copy or post to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading. So here's what's going to happe...

Popular Posts