"Nagsimula na pero wala na 'kong balak na tapusin. 'Di ibig sabihin 'pag 'di tinapos, ako'y hihinto na rin." - SB19

Article | First Time Watching A Symphony Orchestra LIVE

 By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang

Written on December 9, 2021.

Please do not post or copy to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading.




When I opened my school email, I saw one from the school's orchestra supervisor. The performing arts, especially the orchestra, always send emails about some performance or recruitment. Usually, if it doesn't have anything to do with my major or minor, I just automatically put any email I received under "Read", but for some reason, I opened that email. At that time, I just felt I had to.

You see, a couple of years ago, my sister and I were supposed to watch a performance by the university's orchestra. We bought tickets and everything, but when we went to the venue - we thought it'd be in the university - no one's in there. Now, I suspect that it was held in the California Theatre of the Performing Arts instead. We were waiting outside the College of Performing Arts for an hour, if I remembered correctly, but gave up when we couldn't see any crowd at all. We ultimately wasted those tickets.

Then this opportunity came. I talked to my sister and asked if she wanted to come. The seats were very expensive, but there were particular seats on the second floor that were discounted for students. When my sister said, "go," I went and bought the tickets.


Pamphlet during the October 23 show

The event was on October 23rd, and our orchestra was San Bernardino Symphony Orchestra. The venue was in the city center. It was my and my sister's first time to be out in the city center at nighttime. It was a chill night, but it felt good in the skin. There was excitement in the air. Posh and sophisticated ladies and gentlemen filed in. For a night, my sister felt special. Following the guidelines, we showed our proofs of vaccination. 

The inside of the building was so beautiful. It screamed high-end. There were mirrors and golds and velvets, ornaments and high-ceiling chandelier - it was so beautiful. My sister and I were giddy with excitement. 

When we arrived, the orchestra was tuning their instruments. When they started, I didn't think that there would be a chorus, or that the maestro was going to sing himself. The whole performance was marvelous and wonderful. 

When I was watching the performances, I found myself writing down what I felt about it. I wrote down, "It feels like I've been inside a movie's wild adventure; so magical, it brings me to tears."

The emotions were high - both happiness and excitement


Actually, before I came across this, my sister and I just finished watching #fortetheconcert2021 on October 17th. Forte the Concert was a pop orchestra concert wherein SB19 and 4th Impact of the Philippine music industry performed with Battig Chamber Orchestra. It was an online concert, but we were so happy watching our first orchestra performance more so because our idols were singing along with them. I felt that the live performance by the San Bernardino Symphony was the cherry on the top.



California Theatre of the Performing Arts, San Bernardino, CA


As a fan of Nodame Cantabile and Piano no Mori, this was a dream come true for me. My sister and I planned to go again next time, and hopefully, we could bring our parents with us. 

This Saturday, December 11th, David Archuleta will come and perform with them. Sadly, my sister is working, and I am not confident going out at night by myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Update: Welp... Spring Semester Started Last Week!

 By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang Please do not copy or post to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading. So here's what's going to happe...

Popular Posts