"Nagsimula na pero wala na 'kong balak na tapusin. 'Di ibig sabihin 'pag 'di tinapos, ako'y hihinto na rin." - SB19

Poem | Twenty-Eleven

By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang


Please do not repost or copy to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading.





On November of
Twenty-eleven
I walked the fifteen-minute distance
To my middle school

The biting cold of Winter
Chilling my bones
And soaking me wet
I shivered

Foggy smoke coming out
From my mouth
As I breathe in and out
I gasped repeatedly

They said the clock 
Would step forward an hour
Or was it backward?
I didn't know

What I know was
I woke up early
And I had to wait an hour
In the bleak, quiet morning

I was an immigrant
And ignorant
Of the ways of this country
I now lived in

I wore a dress
With a short sleeve
No jacket to protect me
From the wind

I wore a thick long sleeve 
In the heat of September
While they laugh 
And then I felt silly

I have to go to eighth grade
While mentally 
I was a sophomore
In high school

I kept to myself 
Never spoke unless spoken to 
Never tried to befriend
Those who tried to get close

Freshman year and still the same
Coming out of the hardened shell
Was harder than a hard-boiled egg
Smiles so fake, I could feel it

The school gave me
Ten-minute to run for my next class
No time to chat or say hi
For time was running out

I stayed in the classroom
With almost the same classmates every year
Waiting for the next teacher to come in
But that was then... Back in the Philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Update: Welp... Spring Semester Started Last Week!

 By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang Please do not copy or post to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading. So here's what's going to happe...

Popular Posts