"Nagsimula na pero wala na 'kong balak na tapusin. 'Di ibig sabihin 'pag 'di tinapos, ako'y hihinto na rin." - SB19

Article | Art Class in High School Was A Moment

 By Eurielle


Written January 17, 2022

Please do not copy or post to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading.


One of the best moments of my high school life was the art class. It was an elective I had to take unless I chose to be in the performance art or other alternatives. Either way, I was not really an artsy type of a person, but I liked being creative; thus, my ever ongoing arts and crafts projects and totally newbie paintings. I think I'm decent at drawing, and if put more effort into it, I can be good at the harder parts of arts - like shadowing, perspectives, and so on.

One of the assignments I did was scratch art using an X-Acto knife. As I mentioned, I'm not really good with drawing or anything unless I'm following something. Thus, I printed out pictures online. Back then I was into Inuyasha. For the record, Inuyasha was once a childhood anime t.v. show I enjoyed. I particularly enjoyed the idea of time-traveling and half-demons. However, during this time, I wasn't particularly crazy about the anime. In truth, I was reading a bunch of Sesshoumaru x Kagome fan fiction stories on Fanfiction.net. So, I chose Shippo as a subject.

Shippo from Inuyasha
circa High School

I didn't even know or remember how I made it so "perfect." I think it's one of those one-time things wherein you did something so perfectly, you couldn't do it again even if you try. 

In addition to Inuyasha, I was into Naruto as well. Unlike Inuyasha, I watched episodes of Naruto Shippuden and some Naruto movies in addition to reading fan fiction stories. Naruto fan fiction stories and their authors were really hardcore. The authors would write hundred thousands of words and multi-chapters that goes on and on - and mind you, there were lots of them who were really good at writing. So, what's the simplest picture I could reference/copy when it comes to Naruto? The Konoha symbol.

Konoha Symbol
circa High School

You might call this a practice. It wasn't really that good. The problem with scratch art, especially using a sharp metal like an X-Acto knife, was scratching away the second layer behind the black upper layer. Sometimes, even though you didn't scratch away the second layer, still there would be some visible scratches on the surface. For example, unlike the white second layer with Shippo's, this one had a silver second layer. The material for the second layer, especially with this color, made light reflect on it along with the scratches. If this wasn't a Konoha symbol, which if you think about their hitai-ate (forehead protector) then the scratches would be appropriate, then the art wouldn't be that good because of those scratch reflections.

Although I wasn't that good with freestyle, I did one of a random girl - anime style, but poorer quality. 

A Random Girl
circa High School

As you can see, it's really just one of the simple people I could draw. Truthfully, art-wise, I really couldn't draw a whole body of a person. Portrait-wise, I could only draw this style and was never really a real person. It was sad, but I think did very well with the texture of clothes and hair but imagine a person with arch-like eyes. Shuddered. I still think it's really pretty though.

I think challenging oneself in things we think we'll enjoy is part of life. We can learn more about ourselves that way. Scratch art is something I want to do again in the future, and maybe there will be others like me who like making it or wants to try it as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Update: Welp... Spring Semester Started Last Week!

 By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang Please do not copy or post to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading. So here's what's going to happe...

Popular Posts