"Nagsimula na pero wala na 'kong balak na tapusin. 'Di ibig sabihin 'pag 'di tinapos, ako'y hihinto na rin." - SB19

Poem | Papa's Morning

 Papa's Morning

By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang

Please do not repost or copy to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading.





I woke up at five in the morning
before the breaking dawn, silently walking
down the hallways toward the shadowed kitchen
Flicking the light switch to bring in
warm glow and heat the water for my coffee
Bringing out the cooking pan to cook
fried rice and eggs and bacon
Or anything my oldest daughter's preferred breakfast
Mashed potatoes or oatmeal
Then I ought to watch the news, so I open the T.V.
Filipino news, because I have no need for an American one
Facebook can give that news to me
I would turn the volume low, just enough for me to hear
The two are still asleep
Then I would leave the T.V on 
and go to the backyard, and again,
the hen pooped on the floor of the back porch
clucking in the morning asking for chicken feed
I gotta water my plants with last night's
dishwashing water and turn on the faucet and drag
the hose and spray all over my sugarcanes and guava and oranges
And there I saw the hen's eggs
I worry rats would eat it again, so I might need to bring it in
And at around 8 am, my girls started coming out from 
their rooms and they would say, "Good morning, papa"
And they would kiss my cheeks
before getting their plates
and they are loud and so I turn up the volume
and I listen to them giggled to things I don't understand
And I heard one of them shouting from her room
Not of fright but with excitement
and I was left bewildered while sitting on the
leathered seat they called "papa's throne"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Update: Welp... Spring Semester Started Last Week!

 By Eddlynn Jennifer Mangaoang Please do not copy or post to another site. Thank you. Enjoy reading. So here's what's going to happe...

Popular Posts